If one thing can make any educational activity immediately awesome, it’s pancakes.
What you will need:
- Black paper (or a real spatula)
- Brown paper
- Gray paper (or a real baking sheet or tray)
- Tape or Glue
- Lamination (optional)
How to make it:
2. Next, either cut out as many brown circles as there are words are on your word list, or use an Ellison die-cut in the Teacher Center to easily punch out the number you need.
3. Once you have written one sight word on each brown circle or “pancake,” it’s time to make the spatula. If you will be using a real spatula, please skip this step.
To the best of your ability, cut a spatula shape out of the black paper. Please note that you are human, and it doesn’t need to be perfect.
If you would like, you can always download my spatula shape (click on the picture at left and print) to trace. After cutting out that shape, cut out an approximately 1.5″ x 10″ strip of black paper to serve as the spatula handle.
Glue or tape the two pieces together, with the black strip in the center of the spatula shape. This will be the back side of the spatula.
4. If you would like to use the laminator at your school or in the Teacher Center laminator, the pancakes and spatula will last longer than paper alone in the hands of young kids.
If you would like your pancake project laminated but don’t want to make the trip to the Teacher Center, feel free to print out a Lamination Form and have it couriered over. We can then laminate it and send it back to your school.
5. To make a tray for your pancakes, simply use a piece of our gray (or any color) construction paper and fold each edge in about 1/2″. Glue or tape the edges in an upright position, and voilà! A pancake tray or griddle. If you’re using an actual baking sheet, griddle, or plate, please skip this step.
How to use it:
To use the activity, children should identify the sight word before scooping it up for themselves. Give each student his or her own plate to load with pancakes if you’re feeling extra creative. If not, an area on the table will work as well.
That’s all there is to it!
Pancakes have never before been so simple and mess-free.